Monday, September 20, 2010

Sad news

Three months ago we got a kitten. Her name was Tink. We adopted her from our vet, and fell in love with her instantly.

Belle and Tink got along so well, and would play together, and cuddle too





She got shots, spayed, etc. 30 days ago. last week I noticed that she was loosing weight- FAST. I called the vet, took her in, and they weighed her- she lost a whole pound, and she was only 4lbs to begin with. The vet checked her out, ran a few tests, and concluded that he thought she had a disease- and that it was fatal.

Emma was with me. She didn't know what fatal meant- thankfully. One of the helpers walked Emma out of the room and let her see all the animals they had.

The vet sat me down and told me that he was 99.9% sure she had this disease that she caught from her mother days after she was born. Her lungs were filling up with liquid, and it was hard for her to breathe. He said we could run the tests, but it would cost $300, and we would be fighting a loosing battle. I cried.

I cried like a baby. I couldn't believe it, I thought maybe she was just loosing weight due to her having surgery, or that she was sick, something, anything other than this!

I asked the dr if I should go home and think about it (?) I panicked. What was I going to tell Emma? Emma loves this cat so much

He told me that my kitten would soon endure lots of pain. He recommended leaving her there so she could be put down.

This was the hardest thing. He asked me if I wanted to be there when he administered the drugs; and with Emma being there I knew I couldn't handle it. So I pet my kitten, and walked out of the room, with the biggest pain in my heart.

I paid the bill, and left with Emma. My face was tear stained, my heart broken. When Emma asked me on the way home when we were going to pick up Tink the pieces left of my heart shattered.

When we got home I called my mom, and she suggested that we tell Emma that her kitten is with her mom, and that they were looking for her, and for her to get better, she needed to be with her mommy.



What do you tell a 5 yr old? The truth? I couldn't. I wanted to; but I could not tell her she was dead.

Emma was sooo devastated, and sad, but I feel like maybe this is better than her knowing what really happened.

We had this kitten for 3 months. I can't believe how much apart of our family this kitten has became with us until she was gone. I am not even a cat person. Not at all. I loved her so much.

Belle has been depressed, the last few days Emma has mentioned her, and has been sad. I told Emma that maybe she can ask Santa for a playmate for Belle for Christmas.

Emma said she would love to have a puppy. I think Santa will get her one, or maybe I will take her to the humane society, and let her pick out the perfect puppy for us.

this whole ordeal has been so tough....

Has anyone had an animal die? How did you break it to your child(ren)?

0 comments: